[Samba] Problem with lowercase Computernames in winbind samba 3.0.8

Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Thu Nov 11 22:37:34 GMT 2004

Hi

thank you for your reply
The host seems to be in the database
[root at rmcs31 root]# getent passwd | grep rmts2
NTROBOTIC\rmts2$:x:10261:10005:RMTS2:/home/NTROBOTIC/rmts2_:/bin/false

even if
[root at rmcs31 root]# getent passwd "NTROBOTIC\rmts2$"
[root at rmcs31 root]#
does not show a result
(same without "")

I allready wrote an message to samba technical about this issue.
It's not a samba 3.0.8 problem as a thought at the beginning.

I downgraded to samba 3.0.7, and the problem still exists.
( We moved from a NT4 domain to a w2003 domain and from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8
at the same time, and in the 3.0.7 testinstallation in a testdomain
we dont recognize the problem (see below))

The problem occurs on redhat 8.0, suse 8.2 and solaris 8 ( 3 servers)

Here is the newer email to samba technical:

Greetings from munich

Hansjörg

I have successfully joined a W2003 AD with samba-3.0.8
Accessing shares from a samba server with a windows2000 host (rmts1)
works but is significantly slower than before (samba as an NT4 Domain member).

I found that when accessing the sahre samba starts logging.
[2004/11/11 08:30:48, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
 Username NTROBOTIC\rmts1$ is invalid on this system

(i can send a level10 if it is needed)

We have a Unix NIS Userdatabase and the same Usernames in AD.
Winbindd is running and the domainusers are shown with.
[root at rmcs31 samba]# wbinfo -u | grep -i rmts1
RMTS1$
or (depending on the settings of winbind trusted domains only)
[root at rmcs31 samba]# wbinfo -u | grep -i rmts1
NTROBOTIC\RMTS1$

Even if I put winbind in my /etc/nsswitch.conf (which I actually don't want to, because we allready have the users in NIS)
and getent passwd shows RMTS1$ or NTROBOTIC\RMTS1$, the error still occurs.

Side Note:
The error occurs only once, if I access the share via (search computer-> doubleclick on computername etc or via network neibourghhood-whole network...)
If I access it via a network resource, I added under network neibourghhood, the error from above is produced appears for every file i open,
which slows down the progress a lot...

Thank you very much

Hansjörg Maurer