[Samba] Beating a dead horse - Roaming profiles / logon scripts

Douglas Sterner DSterner at arnoldtrans.com
Thu Nov 11 21:59:49 GMT 2004

Using samba 3.0.8 and Suse ES 9.0 I'm having problems getting roaming
profiles/local profiles and logon scripts on a Win2k or WinXP workstation
working correctly. My bdc is supposed to be doing the authentication
against my PDC\LDAP server. Even when I enable Only allow local profiles
on the XP machine it will logout a domain samba user with a sorry no
roaming or local profile available and theres no storage space for one. I
believe its permissions but nothing is showing up in the logs. The logon
scripts aren't even trying to run. The only user that can login is root
and myself with a local profile and once root logins it loads notepad
opens up with the following displayed.

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

PDC Info

[global]

        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        map acl inherit = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
        guest ok = Yes
        share modes = No

[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles/%u
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        store dos attributes = Yes
        browseable = No
                                                            Groupt / Owner
/var/log/samba/profiles         user/root 777 ?Permission settings and
user/group should be set to what
/var/log/samba/netlogon         Domain Users/root 775 ?Permission settings
and user/group should be set to what
/var/log/samba/netlogon/scripts Domain Admins/root 755  ?Permission
settings and user/group should be set to what

BDC Info

[global]
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
[...]