[Samba] Migration to Samba

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 20:47:28 GMT 2004

Dean Landry wrote:

> I'm migrating to Samba on about 50 desktops.  After I join the domain
> (this is on Windows 2k or XP) I get a whole new set of settings (under
> documents and settings).  Is there a way to tell Windows to use the
> old directory?  It matches their username on samba if that helps.
> Note, I'm using local profiles.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean

XP and 2k will try to use a directory under "documents and settings" for
users profiles, from the domain or local or roaming. If the directory
already exists, it will try username.domain and then username.domain.001
etc.
If you want to keep users settings, you will need to copy them over - i
am not aware of a tool to force it to use existing settings.
To move the users over, log on as the new user, then log in as an
administrator. Right click "my computer" > advanced tab > User Profiles:
settings.
In this window, select the old user (probably COMPUTERNAME\username) and
click "copy to" > Browse to "documents and
settings"/newusername.domainname > OK. Change "permitted to use" and add
the user in the format DOMAIN\username (just username will not work for
domain users)
Hope that helps