[Samba] Browsing to Windows 2000 Servers & winbind

Tom Lockwood lockwood at hemlock.k12.mi.us
Thu Nov 11 18:25:26 GMT 2004

I need to browse to a windows share from a fedora client running samba.

I have winbind installed, I've tested it. I can logon to the samba box
with my windows name and password. I can even use smbclient and connect
to a share on a windows server just fine. However, I cannot
interactively browse to the Windows Servers I get a message that says:

The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the
permissions necessary to view the contents of "Windows Network:huskie".
(Huskie is the name of my server).

I've tried turning encypt passwords on and off in the smb.conf file.
I'm using the + separator but don't know if that could cause a problem.
In short it just seems like in a browse mode the Windows server doesn't
know who I am or can't verify a password while if I connect explicitly
using smbclient it works fine.

Any trouble shooting tips would be greatly appreciated

Tom Lockwood

Technology Director, Hemlock Public Schools