[Samba] Automatic Password Reset

McKinnon, Christopher CRMckinnon at cbe.ab.ca
Wed Nov 10 19:33:28 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've been looking at changing an NT password on a Mac OS X computer
using:

smbpasswd -r <domain controller> -U <username>

This works fine but I'm curious if there is a way to detect, using
Samba, when a NT account's password has been expired?  Our security
depart is planning a 90 day password expiry scheme.  I thought it would
be handy to have a script check for this at login and prompt them to
update it, if required.  Our PDC is a Windows 2000 box running AD.  My
Samba version is 2.2.3a.

Thanks for any help,

Chris McKinnon, Helpdesk Analyst
Information Technology Services