[Samba] Initial install - networking problem

Jeff Howard jeffh at email.unc.edu
Wed Nov 10 16:00:23 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm just installing Samba for the first time and have a problem with
name resolution on my test client. Samba 3.0.8 is installed on
a RHES system named 'fileserver1 (.our.xxx.edu)'. The clients
are Windows 2000 and XP systems. This is a subnet that is part of
a larger campus network. There is no Domain, just a workgroup
called 'our_adm'. I have a very simple smb.conf
file for testing. When I look at the client Network Neighborhood I can
see 'fileserver1' but when I click on it, I get "\\fileserver1
is not accessible. The network path was not found".

I included the name and ip address of the client in the
samba lmhosts file and the linux hosts file. Although I didn't think I
needed to, I also included fileserver1's name and ip address in
the Windows lmhosts file. I always restart Samba after making a
change and reboot the Windows client.  Seems like a netbios
name resolution problem and I don't know where to fix it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

here's my smb.conf:

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not made any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	load printers = yes
	name resolve order = lmhosts hosts wins bcast
	wins server = 152.2.247.14 152.2.247.15
	wins proxy = yes
	dns proxy = no
	netbios name = fileserver1
	cups options = raw
	server string = OUR Department Fileserver
	workgroup = OUR_ADM
	debug level = 10
	os level = 20
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	security = share
	max log size = 50

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /home/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba
;   public = yes
;   read only = yes
;   write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in
fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

# test entries - jhoward 11/8/04
[testgroup]
	comment = for testing share level permissions
	path = /data/testarea
	read only = no
	;force user = administrator
	;force group = testgroup