[Samba] SerNet Samba RPMs for SuSE and RedHat

Guenther Deschner gd at samba.org
Wed Nov 10 12:10:49 GMT 2004

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:56:48AM +0100, rruegner wrote:
> Hi Guenther,
> as Suse released just their own packs can you describe
> whats the difference between their packs and sernets?

Sure:

Initially, SerNet started to deliver samba3-rpms for the SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server 8 at a time when SuSE was unable to do so. Quickly our
customers demanded support-services for our packages, so that we now have
long-term maintained and fully supported Samba3-RPMs for a variety of
platforms.

Basically the main difference (and this what we call SerNet-style) is that
we ship binaries that are statically linked against the most recent and
stable Heimdal Kerberos Library.

This gains us independence from vendor-supplied Kerberos-libraries and
enables us to provide a working Active Directory-Integration. To give an
example: we do not suffer from a nasty bug that is present in
heimdal-0.6.1rc3 and that causes pretty much all samba binaries that deal
with memory-credential-caches to segfault.

Additionally we ship some heimdal-enhancements that ease integration (e.g.
transparent fallback from udp to tcp when acquiring kerberos tickets if
required by a Windows KDC without the need to flag each kdc with a
tcp-transport in /etc/krb5.conf).

Apart from that, both package-flavours are rather similiar (they are
derived from the same source).

Hopefully this explained a bit the effort of our own packaging.

Guenther

--
Guenther Deschner                                               Samba Team
SerNet GmbH - Goettingen                                      gd at samba,org
gd at sernet.de