[Samba] Roaming Profiles

Joe Aldeguer jaldeguer at safnow.net
Tue Nov 9 21:18:09 GMT 2004

I found the support I needed to hear! Linux is much harder to setup but
the sense of accomplishment makes up for it. I'm also getting tired of
keeping track of costly client, server licenses on MS including virus or
worm threats design to exploit Windows Vulnerabilities.

By the way I did buy your book SAMBA (Bruce Peren's) Open Source series. I
like the way you use scenarios to describe different network setups. Easy
to follow and interesting to read.

I forgot to ask the lists about how you guys use SAMBA to distribute Group
Policies. Is the implementation about the same using Win 2k AD?

Thank you.

Joe

> Joe,
>
> Given how many MS Windows sites use roaming profiles it is safe to say
that it
> is stable enough.
>
> Do you mean is Samba stable enough? Well again, we have a huge number of
users, I'd say it is.

> OK. So if you mean does Samba handle profile in a stable manner? Samba
does
> not handle profiles - the Windows client does. The windows client reads
the
> users' profile from the profile share and writes it back on logout.
>
> I have set up hundreds of sites that use roaming profiles with a Samba
domain
> controller - so far none have had any problems. That does not means that
problems do not exist, but if they do the users have not noticed them or are

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

> Cheers,
> John T.
>
> On Tuesday 09 November 2004 09:05, Joe Aldeguer wrote:
>> I'm mulling over the idea of replacing my Win 2k MS AD using Samba. But
I'd like to retain roaming profile capability for all my users. Based on