[Samba] Popup messages on login

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:24:44 GMT 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:19:22 -0800, Cole S. Ashcraft
<csa at ashcraftfamily.net> wrote:
> I have a samba server running in a workgroup. It is not usesd to
> facilitate domain logons. When someone logs on, I'd like for a popup
> message to come up. How would I do this (they are Win2K clients).
>
> Thanks,
> Cole

Cole,

The following requires my users to run the netlogon script &
logon/logoff (or was it restart?), but it does just what you're
asking.  Pops up a message on Win2K & XP that users must acknowledge
before logging in, even if 'autologon' is enabled.

I added lines similar to the following in my netlogon.cmd:
NET USE X: \\server\sharename
REGEDIT /S X:\.scripts\legalnoticetext.reg

I use the following in the legalnoticetext.reg file (Unicode text file):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"LegalNoticeCaption"="Legal Notice - System Usage Policy"
"LegalNoticeText"="Individuals using this computer system without
authority, or in excess of their authority, are subject to having all
of their activities on this system monitored and recorded by system
personnel.  In the course of monitoring individuals improperly using
this system, or in the course of system maintenance, the activities of
authorized users may also be monitored.  Anyone using this system
expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such
monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity, system
personnel may provide the evidence of such monitoring to law
enforcement officials."

That should do it.
--
Lars