[Samba] installing printer in a logon script

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Mon Nov 8 15:45:56 GMT 2004

Paul Gienger wrote:

>> OK, this is partially my fault, as installing printer drivers on Samba
>> manually (not using Windows GUI) is so complicated and unintuitive
>> that I think it's even more complicated than configuring IPSec on two
>> machines with dynamic IP, one behind NAT!
>

> With or without control of the firewall/nat box?

With would be easier.
Without you have to place IPSec tunnel into another tunnel I think, but
that's out of the scope of this group.

>> rundll printui.dll,PrintUIEntry has already a switch to use a given
>> inf file for a chosen printer - and as win2k already *has* these
>> printer drivers, I feel no need to copy them from Samba. Doing it from
>> a slow dial-up can be unpleasant experience for an end-user, each time
>> he/she logs in.
>

> Isn't your desired line, which you earier stated was:
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /q /y /ga /if /f
> \\server\shared\HP_2000C\hp_2x00c.inf /in /n \\server\HP_2000C
> doing the same thing?

OK, it was just an example (for some non-mobile users).
It doesn't matter what I type after /if /f - it can be:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /q /y /ga /if /f \\bull\shit /in /n
\\server\HP_2000C

and it doesn't give me an error that there is nothing like \\bull\shit.

If I type there c:\non-existing\printerdriver.inf, it doesn't even say
that there is no such location, and I get a prompt "no drivers on the
server" (which is right, as they are not there), but when I point it to
c:\real-driver.inf, I have the same "no drivers on the server" (but I
want them to be installed from the local workstation, as they are
already there!).

Tomek