[Samba] distribute/deploy software to clients

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Nov 8 11:04:51 GMT 2004

Hi Florian,
just to keep it simple,
there is no ultimate way for deploy software.
In all solutions , free or not free, you have to repack
the progs. ( some may work easy others dont )
So it depends on you what you prefer.
There is a sourceforge project called unattended ( i think , with a lot
of tips )
a good prof solution is netinstall. ( very prof, but expensive )
Last time i used to do it with rexecservice
http://www.codeproject.com/system/remoteexec.asp?df=100&forumid=14084&exp=0&select=718310
this piece of code runs as service on win machines
in addition with psexec and psinfo ( maybe wget for win )you can
check the installed software on a win client maybe pump the info in a
database, install or reinstall if needed ,with cpau you can make this as
admin ),
so this pieces gives you absolut freeware deployment service, and free
to code its behavior with native dos tools and .bat-files.
There is also a half prof solution from a company in germany
which i looked at linuxtag.
http://www.uib.de/www/download/index.html
this company offers a complete solution for deploy
whole windows installs and software deploy, the
stuff is open source , you can rewrite if you want ,its based
on debian woody server , its used in a german stateoffice
so its clear it works well.
the company only earns money with their repack of the packs
which is needed here too.
But this people really earn respect, and for smaller companies
i would recommend this solution as ideal.
Best Regards