[Samba] Re: distribute/deploy software to clients

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sun Nov 7 21:07:52 GMT 2004

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> OK, so first you complain you don't have enough money to release your
> software as open source, then you don't seem o like the idea to sell it?

No, I pointed at some of the tools I work with, wrap code around, and since they are not free they are not of interest... so find, my wrapping is not of interest either.

> So is your software a prototype or what?

Prototype is a good enough description for its current condition. Proof of concept. Components and learnings of the big picture.

> You may be a good programmer, but a very bad marketer.

Beethoven wasn't exactly a lot of fun to hang out with either but he cranked out good work...

> See your competition's demo - unattended -
> http://www.technikz.de/down/howto.mpeg - to get an idea how it works.

Big deal... "silent installs" have been around for more than 10 years. If they are so great then why do fat clients still stink in general today? How does a silent install fix the fact that someone
deleted program.exe, or a virus corrupted it, or someone copied notepad.exe over top of program.exe and so forth.

You stick to your gift, I'll stick to ESD and computing that just plain works.

> Well, software has to be installed at some time.

Leave the PC on 24x7 and allow the ESD to wake up at night an run. Thanks to "green" technology it won't suck to much power all night. Otherwise ESD should catch up at next power on, not when the user
actually finally logs in. (NT Service, catches up at next power-on)

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems