[Samba] Re: distribute/deploy software to clients

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sun Nov 7 20:31:09 GMT 2004

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Well, this is not how you promote your software.

Would you rather I did things the M$ way: selling windows via a flash presentation when there is no real working prototype behind it? You remember that IS how Windows was born. It was a do-nothing
demo, they sold it, then they had to figure out how to make it real... aren't they still doing that? ("Windows File System" for example ROTFLOL!)

> One link on Opus 3...
> but I don't think that's it :)

No, think music, then you understand my use of the word "Opus"

> do you have any working demo (avi or flash presentation), screenshots,
> or something similar?

Oh you *would* prefer the M$ method of marketing a new concept. Do you think I should leave out details like GPF to make it sell better?

Demo:
Plug the computer in.
CD or PXE Boot
Based on computer name ESD knows what OS image to install, common image with bolt-on device driver packages for the specific model type
OS boots, connects to ESD and installs applications and configurations set to go to this computer name
Daily or on-demand connection to ESD verifies all of the files / registry are in place that need to be there
Features:
Complete remote admin
Central logging of all ESD events
Single ESD tool maintains *ALL* applications on the computer... not each vendor inventing their own ESD (Windows Update, McAfee has ePO, bla bla bla...) One pipe, IT admins can watch one pipe, not 100.
Backup of personal files on the workstation based on what apps are on the box.
etc... bla bla bla...

That's it in a nut shell. Anything else is just short of the mark.

rpm and deb for example, neither of those verify every resourse on the computer at each connection. Someone could delete a single file causing the app not to work, those ESD tools would not resolve it
automatically at the next execution of ESD. Plus they are not cross platform... learn different tools and skills just because the OS changed!?!? I think NOT!

MSI, they (can) tie it to the app icon, so each time you start the app it checks bits and pieces, but not typically the entire app as people would complain it takes to long to start the app.... dua!
Do it when the PC is not in use... aka middle of the night! Some MSI packaged apps do no checking after the install. Oh login script method... great, everyone go get a cup of coffee when you log in to
your PC in the morning... IT decided to upgrade from Office XP to Office 2003!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems