[Samba] distribute/deploy software to clients

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Sun Nov 7 20:23:02 GMT 2004

Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Tomek,
>
>> OK, will ask them and elaborate on that here as soon as I get any
>> replies.

Well, seems like that topic was discussed there many times (at least
that's what they replied).

For archives, see: :)

I didn't find anything yet, but as I understood from the reply, it is
done like that:

1) Unattended installs OS with pre-filled values,
2) after the OS is installed, a script is run (automatically as
Administrator of that machine), which installs desired software (e.g.
Office, Acrobar Reader etc., sets if Windows Updates should be made and
when, and stuff like that),
3) after everything is done, something is added to a registry, that runs
a script as an Administrator (from \\server\location\update.bat) of that
machine each time it is booted; in this script there is a definition
what software should be installed where.

I'm not sure how to do point 3 right now, though. :)

Tomek