[Samba] distribute/deploy software to clients

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Sun Nov 7 19:02:00 GMT 2004

Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Thomasz,
>
>> The only solution I'm aware of is MS Active Directory (distributed
>> software installation)...
>

> Which needs a MS Windows 2000/2003 Server, and that's exactly what I
> wanted to omit using Samba. ;-)
>
>> If you just want to install a system + your applications, try
>> Unattended (unattended.sf.net).
>

> Do you know if unattended can install some software afterwards, or has
> the whole system to be reinstalled as soon as I change something in my
> package list?

unattended itself can't - but I'm sure people at its mailing groups will
have some knowledge - I saw some of the topics there is about automatic
software installation, also after OS is installed.

so - who starts the topic there, you or me? :)

> BTW, http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.html is very interesting!

yep, you can learn a bit from it :)

there is also a scripting language, Kixtart - http://www.kixtart.org/ -
which I've heard is capable of doing such stuff - but never used it (see
my topic "netlogon scripts for machines / groups - possible?" from
04.11.04 on samba*lists.samba.org).

Tomek