[Samba] How to stop samba from showing in share title

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Sat Nov 6 19:14:08 GMT 2004

That may be the case, however, my "server String" in the smb.conf if set
to "testing" but when I map a drive, the label
"Samba 3.0.7 (case.comp.uvic.ca) H:" shows up in the "My Computer" view in
Windows XP.

Either WinXP can somehow tell that this is a Samba server, but since the
version number in in the label I think that it must be Samba that is
somehow announcing itself.

I could rename the mount, but I have 4500 users and I do not want to
announce to them that this is a Samba server, especially the version
number. I just want my "Server String" to be known to the users.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Evan.