[Samba] smbpasswd hash type

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Nov 5 14:48:56 GMT 2004

I've found an issue for us when users do a windows password change.  The
password is stored in LDAP with a crypt type of SMD5, which apparently
is not liked very well by our smtp server, and manifests itself as the
user not being able to use smpt-auth.  When I change my password from
the command line with the unix password change I get md5crypt, so it's
not using the system password settings.  The smbldap-tools.conf file
lists the password hash as CRYPT, of course I doubt this is actually
being called.

My question is: Is there a way to tell samba what kind of password hash
to use when changing passwords?  There's other things that break for us
with what samba (or whatever it is calling) is doing, but mail/smtp-auth
is the biggest one.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322