[Samba] HELP - Samba/Swat 3.0.2 and OsX 10.3.5

alpha at inrete.it alpha at inrete.it
Fri Nov 5 14:48:33 GMT 2004

Dear Samba Team,

from a few days i'm trying to use samba on my powerbook,
with panther 10.3.5. I'm also trying to enable swat
where i succeded, but with some anomalies.
I will explain some of the steps i done during this day
because i really don't ever know what to do now. I never
had problems with samba over linux but here the things
seems a little different.

I starting by open the door 901 for swat in the file /etc/services,
putting there the know string "swat  901/tcp  # Samba Web Administration
Tool".
Then i created a file called "swat" in the directory
/etc/xinitd.d/ that contains:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
	port    = 901
	socket_type     = stream
	wait    = no
	only_from = localhost
	user    = root
	server  = /usr/sbin/swat
	server_args = -s /etc/smb.conf
	log_on_failure  += USERID
	disable = no
}

and i also created in /etc/ a file called smb.conf that
contain the following string:

[global]
         dos charset = 437
         unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
         display charset = UTF-8-MAC
         server string = Mac OS X
         auth methods = guest, opendirectory
         passdb backend = opendirectorysam, guest
         guest account = unknown
         use spnego = No
         printer admin = @admin, @staff

After enabling the windows share in the preference pane... nothing works!
I cannot add user (neither the user created in the system) to samba
cause i get:

/etc/pdb/opendirectorysam.so undefined reference to
_get_opendirectory_authenticator expected to be defined in the executable
Trace/BPT trap

and i can enter swat only if i put it in demo mode with the option -a
in the server_args instead of -s. But anyway no way of creating users.
I tryed to solve the problem of the password authentication by
pdbedit, so i use the command "pdbedit -L -w" to list the entire
user on the system and print it out in a smbpasswd compatible list.
I put the list in a file called smbpasswd by using a redirection command
like ">" and i put the file in /var/db/samba/ (should be that directory,
i don't remember...). So i modified my smb.conf where i changed
the passdb backend by putting it = smbdpasswd:/var/db/samba/smbpasswd.

Well... something did seems working, i can add password without having
error, but... anyway nothing works! I cannot anyway enter in swat...
I can delete also the user but i can't recreate it... :-|

Some other test, and i switched back to the original samba
configuration, by putting as smb.conf the smb.conf.template, and
putting the string enable = no in the swat file.
The result is that now not only i cannot enter to swat neither by
putting it into demo mode, but now i cannot neither stop swat!
Also if i say in the swat file to not start, there is some
things that keep it running! But i didn't do nothing :-|

Sorry for the long e-mail but i really don't know what to do,
i spent the last days reading everywhere and trying everythings
but i'm again at the start point!

Thanks in advance for your time! Sorry for my english!

Alessandro Lorenzo Casali
alpha at inrete.it