[Samba] Problems trying to print to Windows printer via ssh and Samba

a9803356 at unet.univie.ac.at a9803356 at unet.univie.ac.at
Fri Nov 5 12:13:14 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am trying to do a rather wild thing. I want to print from a Windows XP laptop (over TCP/IP) to a Linux box (Fedora Core 2) which sends the print data through ssh (puTTY) to a Windows 2000 Print server.
The problem in detail: The laptop is not a member of our domain, so it cannot see the domain printers. I have a running Linux server which shall provide a printer queue in the form of 123.456.789.012/printer (or an equivalent if you have an idea how to do it). This printer should be sending its data through an ssh connection (preferably puTTY) to a Windows Network printer. I have to do this in such a complicated way because the Linux server is in a DMZ and is not "seeing" the Windows Network printer, since they are -of course- behind a firewall. I did manage to make the Linux box print via ssh once about 3 weeks ago, but I had to do my final exam in the meantime, so I forgot the working settings. What would the correct path to my machine look like, e.g. something like
smb://workgroup/localhost/share (localhost because of the tunneling)? This doesn't work, I tried many different settings (e.g. with and without the workgroup, w and w/o username and password etc.). BTW: I forwarded (through puTTY) the following ports: 137, 138, 139 and 631 and get errors like this:
"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE". What I want to know is, which username is required for connecting to the Windows print server? Up to now I use an admin user and its respective password, but to no avail.

If anybody could give me some advice I will greatly appreciate it.

Of course, any other possibility is also very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Jan