[Samba] Upgrading 2.2.8a to 3.0.7 UID problems

keith_allen at safeway.co.uk keith_allen at safeway.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 10:39:27 GMT 2004

I have been running samba 2.2.8a with approx 600 users accessing it for
their network drives. What I need to do now is to upgrade it to version
3.0.7. I have been trying to upgrade my development system with limited
success this is what I have done.
I have 2 test environments one is under vm-ware and one is under vm on
os390:-
In order to test the upgrade i did the following:-

In the windows vm-ware environment:-
created NT PDC and imported 10,000 users from live domain.
built 2 linux images both with 2.2.8a samba
built 1 linux image with 3.0.7 samba
All server worked fine.
I then upgraded one of the 2.2.8a samba boxes by basically just installing
3.0.7 over the top of it everything worked i.e the users UID's remained the
same.

I then tried to repeat this process on the test samba server on vm on os390,
I followed the same procedure i.e just installed over the top, all seemed to
go well but the users/group UID's/GID's have changed.

Can anybody think of why this might be happening?

The only way I have been able to get it to work on os390 is to copy the
original var/locks/*.tbd files off to a safe directory then upgrade to 3.0.7
the copy the files back this seems to ensure the UID's remain the same.

The only other way is for me to build another samba server on os390 with
samba 3.0.7 and migrate the users from the old 2.2.8a samba server, but this
is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.
The information contained in this message is confidential and is
intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in
error or there are any problems, please notify the originator
immediately. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of
this message is strictly forbidden. Opinions, conclusions and other
information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
Safeway unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative
independent of this message.