[Samba] Using winbind authentication with Windows 2003 AD - SSH login failures

Wayne Pascoe lists-june2004 at penguinpowered.org
Fri Nov 5 10:10:54 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have been trying to setup authentication of users on a Linux server
against Windows server 2003 using winbind.

I am at the point where an
su - ADUSERNAME
works, but sshing as that user still doesn't work.

When I try to ssh as an AD user as follows:
ssh -l "RILINUX+testuser" server.domain.com
I get the following output in /var/log/messages:

server pam_winbind[5906]: request failed: No such user, PAM error was
10, NT error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
server sshd(pam_unix)[5906]: check pass; user unknown
server sshd(pam_unix)[5906]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0
euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=server.domain.com

At the same time, I see this Failure Audit in the Security section of

Event viewer on the AD server:
Logon attempt by:	MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
 Logon account:	NOUSER
 Source Workstation:	\\LONLT-SVR9
 Error Code:	0xC0000064

I then changed my setup to use winbid use default domain = yes and
tried with
ssh -l testuser server.domain.com
I got the same result as when using the DOMAIN+user syntax

wbinfo -u shows this test user in the list.

My smb.conf is as follows:
[global]
        workgroup = MYADDOMAIN
        netbios name = servername
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain = yes
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash

        security = ads
        encrypt passwords = yes
        realm = MYKERBEROSREALM.COM
        password server = 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

My various pam configs are as follows:
/etc/pam.d/login
auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient pam_winbind.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient pam_winbind.so
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     pam_console.so

/etc/pam.d/sshd
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       sufficient   pam_winbind.so
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient   pam_winbind.so
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_limits.so
session    optional     pam_console.so

I'm using Red Hat EL AS 3 which I believe tries to centralise most of
this in system-auth, and this is what I have there:

auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

I'm not sure if this is related to my problem, but I see quite a few
of the following messages in my security section of event viewer:

Pre-authentication failed:
 	User Name:	servername$
 	User ID:		MYDOMAIN\servername$
 	Service Name:	krbtgt/MYKERBEROSREALM.COM
 	Pre-Authentication Type:	0x0
 	Failure Code:	0x19
 	Client Address:	10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Can anyone advise how to rectify this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Wayne Pascoe