[Samba] Static Entries wins.dat/browse.dat

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Thu Nov 4 20:22:00 GMT 2004

I've recently setup an iSCSI portal on my network and have taken some
servers offline.  However, due to the requirements of certain software
programs I need to use UNC paths.  I was able to fix this issue by
adding CNAME into my DNS.   I'm still finding that certain programs
still require to view the browse list to find the appropriate server.
Since CNAME doesn't link to the wins.dat or browse.dat lists I thought I
could add a static entry into both.  I followed the Samba-Howto on
static entries but it seems that the entry disappears after a few
minutes (the entry does appear on the Network Places browse list).

Since the static entry is point to the same IP address as a physical
server (iSCSI portal) could it be causing a conflict and therefore removed.

Cheers,

--
Jason Gray
Bardel Entertainment Inc.