[Samba] WINS setup / browsing

Thomas G. Tri, P.E. ttri at skees.com
Thu Nov 4 12:59:19 GMT 2004

At 07:02 AM 11/4/2004, samba-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:01:17 +0300
>From: ds_shadof at uni-altai.ru
>Subject: Re: [Samba] WINS setup / browsing
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>

>Thursday, November 4, 2004, 2:15:55 AM, you wrote:
>
>TGTPE> I just  successfully upgraded a server from v 2.2.8 to v3.0.7. When I
>TGTPE> execute smbstatus or swat it correctly shows v 3.0.7. When I browse
>thru
>TGTPE> network neighborhood it still shows v 2.2.8. I stopped samba, and
>removed
>TGTPE> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/browse.dat & wins.dat. Then restarted
>samba. It
>TGTPE> still reports v2.2.8 thru network neighborhood. In viewing
>browse.dat it
>TGTPE> shows 2.2.8. Where is this coming from & how do I correct it?
>
>TGTPE> Thanks
>TGTPE> Tom
>
>It's windows problem. My samba running on 3.0.6 but in network
>neighborhood it's still show's old server string "mntntfs on Samba PDC
>3.0.2rc2 (Toltec)" go to regedit
>\\HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions
>and your hart will tell you what to do :)

I removed all the entries from
\\HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions,
and rebooted the PC. Using network neighborhood, v2.2.8 is still showing as
the description. However, now in Windows Explorer it shows v3.0.7 for those
shares mounted from the samba server.

I also checked /usr/local/samba/var/locks/browse.dat after removing the
descriptions on the local PC. How is the v2.2.8 getting back in the
browse.dat file?