[Samba] samba browsing not responding

Bryan M deathbygoats at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:54:05 GMT 2004

i have a samba server named CCFILES set up on a domain.  i've
successfully set up the server and joined it to the domain.  we're
running in an 2000 domain, but it's not running AD.  most of our
workstations are win2000 pro.

all i want to do is serve files.  i can browse the server fine and
even copy some things, but explorer frequently locks up while browsing
the server.  looking at the server, everything seems fine.  the
server's a 450 mhz g3 powerpc with 512 MB of RAM and a 40 GB HDD,
which would seem to me to be more than enough to serve files.  i'm
running Mandrake Linux on it and Samba 3.0.7.  i set the machine up
with a high security setting.  not sure if that might be the cause of
some of my problems.  i'm not exactly sure what it entails, but i
can't log into the machine direcly as root (i have to su), it will
automatically log out of root after a while if not being used, and
pings to the machine aren't returned.  i tried copying the smb.conf
file over to my workstation using samba, and only the first 16 kb
copied for some reason.  here are some settings i changed:

[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN
security = DOMAIN
password server = *
encrypt passwords = yes
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
winbind separator = +
local master = no
wins server = 192.168.1.10

[Files]
comment = shared files
path = /files
public = yes
writable = no
write list = DOMAIN+user1 DOMAIN+user2 DOMAIN+user3

i don't want any kind of shared printing, so i commented all of the
printing options out.  are there any settings i missed or configured
incorrectly?  could my security settings possibly have something to do
with this?  could i possibly change this setting and fix the problem:

i appreciate any suggestions.  thanks for the help.