[Samba] Re: SAMBA PDC

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Wed Nov 3 20:47:31 GMT 2004

> Thanks for help.
> OK there is attached output from $ testparm -vs
> I have heard something about using SRV records in DDNS, are they necessary in
> this case?

I doubt it.  I've never used them before and mine runs fine.

This could be a profile permissions issue. Is your system having any
trouble createing a profile with the correct perms/ownerships? To find
out, use:

ls -l /var/lib/samba/profiles | grep [username]

Like so:

[root at enigma 0 samba]$ ls -l /var/lib/samba/profiles | grep njim
drwx------  19 njim  Domain Users  4096 Nov  2 23:55 njim

Assumeing you want roaming profiles and not mandatory profiles, it may
be best to omit the profdata share. My profiles section looks like this:

> [profiles]
> comment = Profile Share
> path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
> read only = No
> profile acls = Yes
> browseable = No
> hide dot files = Yes
> root preexec = PROFILE=/var/lib/samba/profiles/%u; if [ ! -e $PROFILE ]; \
>                 then mkdir -pm700 $PROFILE; chown "%u"."%g" $PROFILE; fi

Now for a test, you can create the users profile directory by hand using
the correct permissions and ownerships.  Then log in and if the problem
goes away, you know that this is the issue.

The root preexec statement mentioned above causes a short script to be
executed before user login.  The script I've specified above will check
to see if the user has a valid profile and if not it will create one
with the appropriate permissions and ownerships. One would expect this
to be automatic but what I found was that permissions for the parent
directory nescesary for automatic profile directory creation were
unexceptable (i.e. the user could save or delete files in the directory
beneath thier own which is /var/lib/samba/profiles).

Of course this is a bit of overhead each time someone logs in.  If you
want a little more of a scaleable solution, write a short script that
creates the directory as the user is added to the system.

Let me know if this works for you.

Jim C.
| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings @ hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844  |
| Y!: j_c_llings            Jabber: jcllings @ njs.netlab.cz	|