[Samba] Winbind type email

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 3 11:22:27 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 23:02, Holger Krull wrote:
> > Sorry to post this hugely off-topic, but i have no clue where to start.
> > We are looking to replace an Exchange server with something with less
> > licencing issues, is there a way to use windbind (or winbind-ish
> > behaviour) for an email server (ie users authenticate through winbind to
> > log on to imap server etc).

Look at 'winbind use default domain = yes', to get your e-mail addresses
'sane' (not with domain\ on the front).

> cyrus sasl mechanism can be used. Look at option ntlm_server.

More particularly, look at the patches here:
http://download.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/lorikeet/trunk/patches/

This uses winbind directly and Samba's NTLMSSP implementation.  This is
more robust than the original cyrus code.

Currently Davenport supports NTLM, but not via ntlm_auth, but given
their good internal design, it would be trivial to patch.  (Just not
enough hours in the day yet).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org