[Samba] Name resolution

Nathan Williams nathan at nathan-andrea.com
Tue Nov 2 17:50:32 GMT 2004

I am using Samba release 3.0.7-2 on a Fedora Core 2 box.  I am unable to
receive proper name resolution for a machine because my client seems to be
requesting resolution for the machine by its workstation service aliased
name rather than its file server registered name.  Here are the machines
registered names:

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    INet~Services  <1C>  GROUP       Registered
    IS~LIGHTTYPERDT<00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LIGHTTYPERDT   <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LIGHTTYPERDT   <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DNASEQ         <00>  GROUP       Registered
    IWAM_LIGHTTYPER<03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DNASEQ         <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    LIGHTTYPERDT   <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DNASEQ         <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

A Windows  machine (or OS X) will try to resolve it will broadcast a request
like this (using the fileserver name):
	Name query NB LIGHTTYPERDT<20>

The Linux box will try to resolve it this way (using the workstation service
alias, instead of the fileserver name):
	Name query NB IS~LIGHTTYPERDT<20>
This, of course, doesn't resolve because it doesn't exist.  Has anyone else
seen this behavior or know of a remedy?  In case it matters, I'm sniffing
the packets using Ethereal.  Thanks for any advice anyone can throw my way!
Nathan