[Samba] Samba help

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Mon Nov 1 22:37:14 GMT 2004

Mandrake's default setting is to have:
map to guest = bad user
in the smb.conf.
This means, that if your Windows user doesn't exist on the Mandrake box,
it will get mapped to guest.
I suppose your

[public]
share definition doesn't have a public = yes, or guest allow = yes line?

So I see three possible solutions here:
- Specify map to guest = never, in this way your windows users would get
prompted for a username/password when they connect
- Create the corresponding usernames/passwords on the mdk box (both
useradd xyz, and smbpasswd -a xyz)
- Allow guest access to public.

About WINS:
if your network is part of a bigger one, your needs could vary depending
of your setup:
-permanent vs. temporary connection
-static IP addresses vs. DHCP
-having a WINS server on the bigger network or not.

Cheers,

Geza