[Samba] Newbie needs help with failed RAID5 disk

Ronald Sand c.auratus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:28:20 GMT 2004

I was hoping someone could either help me or point me in the direction
of a resource.  I have searched the web for any howto on repairing a
failed array, but keep coming up short.  I have a home file server
running a RAID 5 array that now will not mount my array.  I believe it
is telling me there is a problem with the second drive.

The basics:
RedHat 8.0
kernel 2.4.20-28.8
don't know the samba version
system is a PIII 600 with 3 Maxtor 80 GB drives
    all three drives are recognized by the BIOS

The Grub loader comes up, but the system hangs when I try to bot the
OS.  Following are some of the errors that show up.  I can't scroll up
to see more as the system is frozen.

I have all my family photos on here and would really like to preserve
them.  The timing is ironic.  On the day the system failed I was
building a new windows machine with a DVD burner to backup my data -
all I needed was one more day!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

md0: 2 data -disks, max readahead per data-disk: 256
raid5:L device hdf1 operational as raid disk 1
raid5: not enough operational divices for md0 (2/3 failed)
RAID5 conf printout:
--- rd:3 wd:1 fd:2
disk 0, s:0, o:0, n:0 rd:0 us:1 dev:[dev 00:00]
disk 1, s:0, o:0, n:0 rd:0 us:1 dev:hdf1
disk 2, s:0, o:0, n:0 rd:0 us:1 dev:[dev 00:00]
raid5: failed to run raid set md0
md: pers->run() failed ...
md :do_md_run() returned -22
md: md0 stopped.
md: unbind<hdf1,0)
md: ...autorun DONE.
Creating block devices
Creating root device
Mounting rtto filesystem
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
pivotrot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.