[Samba] samba 3.0.7 and os/2

greg at fqdn.com greg at fqdn.com
Mon Nov 1 12:26:43 GMT 2004

Basically,  proxy arping is where the firewall will claim to have the MAC
address which it does not,  and forward traffic with this MAC address as
its destination off to the node which has this  MAC.

ARP does it thing with broadcasts,  it is not a port based service.  You
would have to turn on broadcast forwarding or similar..  I'm not to
familiar with linux based fire wall systems.  ARPs main goal in life is to
map IP addresses to hardware addresses (MAC) used by IP (or another data
link protocol).

I think a WINS like service is your best bet,  or push an lmhosts file
around.  This may negate firewall modifications.

have a great day,
greg