[Samba] Directory listing delay with WinXP and IPtables

Randy S randoms at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 22:50:47 GMT 2004

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I setup a new Samba server using RedHat EL 3, and samba 3.0.2-6.3E (the
version that comes with Redhat).

We were seeing an intermittant 20 seconcd delay when grabbing a
directory listing, but only from XP, win 2k was fine.

I couldn't completely nail down when the delay occured but it seemed to
be when the directory or share hadn't been accessed in a while, ~15mins
??. There was never a problem or delay seeing the samba server on the
browse list.

I turned off iptables and the delay has been drastically reduced, now
down to 2 secs, which is acceptable.

Obviously I'd like to turn iptables back on.

I'm wondering if there are any special port openings or other iptables
settings that need adjustments with XP; or if there are adjustments I
need to make to the XP clients. I've already tried the
RemoteComputer\NameSpace\ regkey fix to no avail.

It's a very basic iptables setup. I opened up the standard samba ports.
  I've listed the output of 'iptables --list' below.

Any ideas?

TTIA

/randoms/

'iptables --list' output :

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp any
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ns
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-dgm
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ssn
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
udp dpt:microsoft-ds
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:497
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
udp dpt:497
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited