[Samba] Printer accounting/quota ?

Erik Holst Trans eht at it-trans.dk
Mon May 31 22:39:02 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am about to install a Samba server at a local school, and i need some
advice and/or experience from others who have worked on a installation
of that type/size.

My plan is to roll-out a Samba server (of course), with LDAP back-end,
and a number of printer queue's via CUPS.
There will be aprox. 1000 user accounts, mostly students.

The school has asked for a solution that would make theme able to
control the amount of paper each student is allowed to use eg. hard-quota.

AFAIK, there is no solution in the Samba or CUPS tool-box itself, so i
Googled a little and found the PyKota project:
   http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

Unfortunately i do not have any experience with it, but it seems like a
good solution because it is able to store the accounting data in LDAP,
and monitor the printers life-time page counter.

Any advice or info about how it is done else where would be deeply
apriciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Erik Holst Trans