[Samba] Old domain name an't delete record with tdbtool

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Mon May 31 13:54:10 GMT 2004

Samba V3, tdbsam backend.

I've had to change the workgroup name in smb.conf on a Samba PDC (ie, I've
changed the domain name). However, the old domain name still shows up in
Windows PCs' "Microsoft Windows Network" (together with the new name, which
works just fine). I want to remove the old domain name, and I assume it is
still showing because it is still present in secrets.tdb. A "tdbdump
secrets.tdb" shows (actual domain names changed):

key = "SECRETS/SID/OLDNAME"
data =
[deleted]

key = "SECRETS/SID/NEWNAME"
data =
[deleted]

So I tried to remove the old name with tdbtool:

$ tdbtool secrets.tdb
tdb> delete SECRETS/SID/OLDNAME
delete failed
tdb> delete "SECRETS/SID/OLDNAME"
delete failed
tdb>

Some questions:

1. Is the reason that the old domain name is showing because it is in
secrets.tdb?
2. Is deleting it from secrets.tdb the right way to remove it?
3. How do I delete it?

Many thanks for any suggestions -
K.