[Samba] Understanding Samba Shares

biz florin.grosu at igeoss.com
Sat May 29 17:28:33 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Sheeley" <ssheeley at myndworx.com>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:57 PM
Subject: [Samba] Understanding Samba Shares

| I've searched every archive and read the documentation and I still can not
figure out how to do this.

| I've recently installed Debian 3.0 (woody) on a box and have setup Samba
on it.  I can see it from my WinXP box just
| fine and I have a user on the Debian box that's the same as my user name
and PW on the WinXP box. I can read/write and
| do everything from my 'Home' share automatically setup by samba and that's
working just fine.

| Where I am dropping the ball is in creating another share that I as normal
user can write to.  I do my web page work
| on my WinXP system and want to share the /var/www directory so that I can
directly open my php and html files with my
| editor on the WinXP system and not have to maintain two copies or more,
elsewhere and FTP them back and forth.

| I've setup the share using the examples I've found on the net and I can
see the share and even read the files there,
| but I can not write to them.
|
| The /var/www directory is owned by group www-data, of which my normal user
on the Debian machine is a member of.

| I'm completely stuck here, can anyone point me in the write [get it?  ;-)]
direction so that I can read and write to