[Samba] Sub-directories are empty

Jim Marshall jim at iconnextion.com
Fri May 28 15:41:13 GMT 2004

I sent this yesterday, but it didn't seem to make it to the list - sorry
if its a dup...

Hello,
I have been using Red Hat 8.0 with SAMBA for a while (but I am by no
means an expert at either) without issue. Anyway I just migrated my
system to SuSe 9.0. SAMBA appears to be setup properly as I can connect
to the two shares I have from a windows machine. However I am having
diffaculty with one of my shares. This one share has a bunch of files in
it and a couple of sub-directories. There are files in these
sub-directories (which I can see when I am logged into the machine). But
when I connect to the share from a Windows XP Pro machine the files in
the main directory appear and are accessable, but when I click to open
the sub-directories they come up empty.  The other share seems to work
fine as I can the contents of sub-folders.

I am running SuSe 9.0 which appears to have SAMBA 2.2.8a (smbd version
2.2.8a-SuSE started.)
Clients are all running Windows XP Pro with all the latest Critical updates.

So just to re-interate, I can connect to the 'games' share and I can see
the contents of the directory fine. But if I click on a sub-directory it
comes up empty. If I use a console (DOS BOX) and type dir z:\<sub-dir>
it comes up empty.

The files permissions for all files in the 'games' directory is 644
(rw_r__r__) and are owned by root (I've actually changed the owner to be
the 'game_player' account [which is the user that connects to the
share], and it had no affect).

Looking at the /var/log/samba/smb.conf doesn't show anything when I
connect or enter the directory or sub-directory.

Any help is welcome.

Here is the smb.conf I am using, the 'sl' share works fine, the 'games'
share is the one with the problem.

[global]
  workgroup = workgroup
  server string = Starfury Samba Server
  hosts allow = 192.168.1.
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
  unix password sync = Yes
  large readwrite = Yes
  local master = no
  os level = 2
  time server = Yes
  unix extensions = Yes
  encrypt passwords = yes
  map to guest = Bad User
  printing = CUPS
  printcap name = CUPS
  socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
  wins support = No
  veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
  add user script =
  domain logons = no
  preferred master = auto
# Removed [homes], [printers] & [print$]  from this as I don't use them
[sl]
  comment = SL User shares
  path = /kosh/SL
  users = game_player Jim