[Samba] NetBIOS names resolution and Linux

Marc Lijour marc at lijour.net
Fri May 28 14:06:43 GMT 2004

Hi

I use Mandrake Linux 10.0 and I recently upgraded from Samba 2.2.8 to
Samba 3.0.2a.

The Samba box is in a network that I do not control. The Win clients have
nothing set in their network properties: no DNS server, no WINS server.

Question 1: is it true that they get their name resolution from
broadcasting? or from where else?

Question 2: before the upgrade I was able to do ping netbiosname.
Now ping does not work with a netbios name. I could not find what the
difference is in the configuration. Is there a way to have ping (and other
utilities) get the information from samba?
(nmblookup, findsmb, all work fine and read all machines on the network).

Question 3: When I use Linneighborhood it says "master without browse
list". How can I fix that?

Thanks

Marc