[Samba] [Samba + CIFS] Symbolic link problems

ALBANI damiano damiano.albani at univ-lr.fr
Fri May 28 13:24:16 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am using Samba 2.2.8a with 2.6.6 CIFS Linux clients and I've got
problems with symbolic links : I can't make them point outside the share.

I understand that it is a security feature if the server resolves the
link. But, in my case, I'd like Samba to serve link files *as is*, so
that the Unix clients resolve the link.

Symlinks are an important filesystem feature and their lack breaks many
software, especially when using home directories exported from Samba
shares. OpenOffice for example, which makes a shorcut from
'/usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/soffice' to '~/.rhopenoffice-1.1/soffice', and
refuses to start if it can't :(

I've seen previous discussions on this topic, but found no solution.
Cf. <http://groups.google.fr/groups?th=16eee5a8241654f1> and
<http://groups.google.fr/groups?th=44b101ab6fdb7541>.

Thanks a lot,

--