[Samba] File already in use?

Andreas Haumer andreas at xss.co.at
Fri May 28 12:23:03 GMT 2004

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:41:35AM -0500, Chris Garrigues wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm running 3.0.4 and have had several reports from users both using Office
>>and Lotus where the application tells them that the file is already in use
>>when we know it isn't.
>

> Can anyone give me a reproducible test case for this please ? A set of
> client operations that reliably reproduces it would be best. If not,
> an ethereal capture trace showing the entire session might help track
> this down.

We just had this problem again and this time I have lots of
debug information available:

*) A full network trace from all traffic between the fileserver
   and the windows PC in tcpdump binary format (can be examined
   with ethereal)

*) A samba logfile with debuglevel 10 where the event is
   logged in detail

*) Output of "smbstatus" for the user in question a few minutes
   before and after the event, with an interval of 2 seconds

The whole log information is about 3MB in size (tar archive,
compressed with bzip2). As I do not want to send it to the
list due to it's size (and it contains confidental information,
too) I would like to send it to you in private mail. Is this ok?
I could also put the file into some private FTP account and give
you access. Please advise what is your preferred method.

We also have a test case for this which we could reproduce
at least 6 times in a row now:

a) User starts Excel with empty workspace and opens the file
   using the Excel "Open" dialog -> no problem

b) User starts Excel first with empty workspace. User then
   starts Windows Explorer and opens the file by double-klicking
   on the filename in Windows Explorer -> no problem

c) Excel is not running. User starts Windows Explorer and
   opens the file by double-klicking on the filename in Windows
   Explorer -> Excel starts up and presents the error dialog
   that the file was already in use! User can acknowledge the
   error dialog by klicking on "OK" -> file opens in Excel
   without problem.

Does this ring a bell?

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71