[Samba] primary gid of user [username] is not a Domain group

Jason Gray jgray at bardel.ca
Thu May 27 20:32:49 GMT 2004

What password backend are you using?  I had the same problem with ldapsam
until I altered the sambaPrimaryGroupSID so that it was sambaSID+GID.  It
looks like you are probably using local server accounts rather than an LDAP.
You will need to create NT groups like 501, 512, 513 in your /etc/group file
and map them to NT groups.  The Samba How-to tells you how to do this.  You
will need to use something like:

# net groupmap add SambaSID+GID unixgroup=<string>
type=<domain|local|builtin> ntgroup=<string>

Jason