[Samba] Printer driver problems...going live tomorrow

Tim timrussell at rocketmail.com
Thu May 27 20:12:30 GMT 2004

Hope someone can give me hand with this. We have 2 sun solaris 8 print servers
running Samba 3.0.2 in a veritas cluster (active/passive).

To make a long story short, we've tested everything except some new printers
that have showed up. These are HP Laserjet 4300's. We tried uploading the
windows 2000 and the windows NT 4.0 drivers within the windows gui
(\\printserver\printers, right click on the printer and choose "shared" and
then choose "advanced" and then select the correct driver (latest PCL6 driver
from HP's site).

This works fine. The driver is uploaded to the sun samba server and it pushes
down the driver to the 2000 client fine and works. However, when we click
on "share" and "additional drivers" and click on "windows nt and 2000" we are
prompted to supply the location of the driver. We select the NT driver location
and get this:

"The printer driver you selected is either not compatible with your current
version of Windows, or it may not be available. Select a compatible driver from
the list, or contact your administrator for help."

If I choose the 2000 driver here instead, it comes up with the digital
signature popup and seems to upload the drivers fine....but the association
doesn't stick and the NT driver is not downloaded to clients.

This is not a problem with ANY other printer model so far (8100, 8150, 8000,
4000, 4050, 4100, 4600, 5n, etc...) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim