[Samba] Weird issue with Windows 2003 server

Spencer Clark spencer at 3ex.co.uk
Thu May 27 12:48:31 GMT 2004

Dear all,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the following conundrum

We have the following setup

Using samba version 2.2.8 on a server with three network cards

192.168.0.241/24                       10/100 Local network for
administration

192.168.10.241/24                     10/100 ASP client network

192.168.11.241/24                     Fibre network for link to websites and
data backups

Samba server is configured to use all 3 interfaces.

Linked to this server we have a Windows 2000 server

192.168.0.254/24                       10/100 Local network for
administration

192.168.11.254/24                     Fibre network for link from websites
and data backups

X.X.X.254                                   Public ip address for web access

There is an entry in winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts that points to the
192.168.11.241 address of the samba server.

On this box all requests from the website to the samba server connect , as
they should, through the fibre network.

Here is where the problem begins

We have added a windows 2003 server to run websites configured as follows

192.168.0.250/24                       10/100 Local network for
administration

192.168.11.250/24                     Fibre network for link from websites
and data backups

X.X.X.254                                   Public ip address for web access

There is an entry in winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts that points to the
192.168.11.241 address of the samba server.

Connections from this server choose any interface i=on the windows server to
make the connection, chosen randomly from all three.

We have changed the bind order of the network cards to place the fibre card
as the first card.  We have entered manual metrics, assigning 1 to the fibre
card and 20 to the other 2 cards.  We have added a persistant static route
to the samba server through the fibre interface card.  None of this makes
any difference.  The windows server still randomly selects an interface to
connect through.  We have tried re-installing the operating system on
another server, just incase, but this produces the same results.

We need to tie this to the fibre network for performance.  Any ideas on what
to try to fix this would be appreciated

Spencer Clark

Legal Disclaimer:
Internet communications are not secure and therefore we as a company do
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the company unless otherwise specifically stated.