[Samba] Configuration

Schmitz, Richard G. richard.schmitz at ngc.com
Wed May 26 22:08:10 GMT 2004

I was given the task of making our Samba 2.2.8a configuration work about 2 weeks ago and have been unsuccessful in getting it to work properly.  Here's the scenario:

Samba Server:
Running Solaris 8 on a Sun-Blade-100
Samba 2.2.8a

Primary Domain Controller:
1.0 Gig Pentium III
Windows NT 4.0 Server OS

All other machines in the Domain are a collection of Windows XP or Windows 2K Pro, varying speeds, all of which are faster than the PDC.

I have the usual needed lines in the smb.conf file:
[global]
     workgroup = DOMAINNAME
     netbios name = netbios
     security = Domain
     encrypt passwords = yes
     password server = *
     wins server = 11.1.1.111 (obviously not the correct IP)
     winbind uid = 10000-20000
     winbind gid = 10001-10026
     hosts allow = 11.1.1.  127.
[filefolder]
     path = /opt/filefolder
     hosts allow = 11.1.1.
     browseable = yes
     read only = no

I do the "smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME.com -r PDC -U adminname" command successfully, because I get the message back that says I have joined the domain.  I can see the Samba machine from the Windows machines, but the only machine that can resolve the password and connect (successfully map the drive) is the PDC.
I believe the problem has been with winbind.  I start the Daemon, and I can do a ps -ea and see it has started, but it says something about Write error: broken pipe in the log file.  I try to do the wbinfo -u or -g and I get Error looking up domain users/groups.

I'd pull my hair out, but I don't have any left.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Richard Schmitz
Computer Analyst
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems
1410 Wall Street