[Samba] SUSE 9.1 & Samba

Art Fore afore at sonic.net
Wed May 26 20:34:56 GMT 2004

I still have not gotten samba client to work right on SUSE 9.1l. I
finally got to join the domain, but it changed the smb.conf from ADS to
Domain. If I do smbclient -L servername and put in my login and
password, it comes back access denied. I have a couple of questions
though that maybe someone can answer.

The Servers are Win2K with Active Directory running. I know the domain
controller and password werver is named mailman and can ping it. The
security is with ldap.

1. Going to Yast, system, runlevel editor, it shows smb running. All of
the documentation I read says smbd. Has this changed or is this
something peculiar to SUSE?

2. From what I have read, it seams winbind is for PAM security. Is it
also used for ldap?

3. Do I need winbind on this machine that is only a client?

Art