[Samba] Samba PDC/LDAP Questions

Wendell Smith wendels at castlebranch.com
Wed May 26 18:52:32 GMT 2004

Howdy all...

I am trying to use two different samba servers in a test environment
such that a Win98 SE user logs into his/her workstation,
authenticates/authorizes themself via the PDC, and then mounts a
different samba server to store his/her files. By files I *guess* I mean
profile as this is where I assume that this user's personal files will
end up.

Question 1: Is this assumption that a users working files are stored
with their profile correct?

I am making use of an LDAP enabled samba compilation (samba-3.0.4) with
respect to my PDC. When I utilize just this machine, my users working
files/profile does indeed get stored in the PDC's profiles share.

I want my PDC to only be used for authentication/authorization in that I
would like all of my users to be able to mount other samba file-servers
to store their working files/profile.

Question 2: Do these other non-PDC samba servers need to be
LDAP-enabled?

When I log my user on and off get this message in my log.smbd file:

[2004/05/26 14:04:40, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1369)
  unable to open passdb database.

I had assumed that the PDC handled all of the
authentication/authorization and am little confused as to why this
file-server would be trying to access the passwd database.

I have been following the howto found at this url:
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html

It has been VERY helpful. When I got to the section entitled "A complex
and real example", I am left unsure of how a user actually mounts this
second non-PDC file-server. This info is seemingly left out.

Question 3: How are the following ldap attributes for a sambaSamAccount
actually used to accomplish this?

sambaAcctFlags
sambaHomePath
sambaHomeDrive
sambaProfilePath

Question 4: What about the smb.conf directives involved?

[global]
	logon path
	logon home

[profiles]
	path

In the example there is no "profiles" share found on the non-PDC
file-server.

/me shrugs

I'm a little bewildered with all of this and would LOVE some help. I'm
fairly good at RTFMing do if I have overlooked an important piece of
documentation, by all means point it out to me and I will inhale it.
I've tried looking at the ldap schema but didn't pull too much from it.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

Wendell