[Samba] duplicate domains in browse list

Joerg Pulz Joerg.Pulz at frm2.tum.de
Wed May 26 18:46:50 GMT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Joerg Pulz wrote:
>
> | maybe i must upgrade all involved machines??
>
> btw... you only need to update nmbd on all the machines.

i've upgraded all machines now, but that did not help.

the problem occurs only with real domains. not with workgroups!

i have a workgroup with an samba-3.0.4 fileserver on a seperate subnet
smb.conf:
- ---
workgroup = MIRA
local master = yes
domain master = no
preferred master = no
domain logons = no
wins support = no
wins server = <ZII\PDC>
- ---

this one appears in all DMB's browse.dat file as:
- ---
"MIRA"         c0001000 "MIRA1"                       "MIRA"
- ---

i have one domain with samba-3.0.4 PDC + BDC + BDC
smb.conf_PDC:
- ---
workgroup = ZII
local master = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = yes
domain logons = yes
- ---

smb.conf_BDC's
- ---
workgroup = ZII
local master = no
domain master = no
preferred master = no
wins support = no
wins server = <ZII\PDC>
domain logons = yes
- ---

the ZII domain appears in the PDC/BDC's browse.dat as:
- ---
"ZWE-FRM-II"    c0001000 "MINOS"                      "ZWE-FRM-II"
"MINOS"         408d9b2b "Samba Server 3.0.4"         "ZWE-FRM-II"
- ---
which is okay.

know i have a different domain controlled by samba-3.0.4 on a seperate
subnet
smb.conf:
- ---
workgroup = PUMA
local master = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
wins support = no
wins server = <ZII\PDC>
domain logons = yes
- ---

this domain appears on the domains PDC's browse.dat as:
- ---
"PUMA"             c0001000 "PUMASRV"            "PUMA"
"PUMASRV"          400d9b2b "Samba Server 3.0.4" "PUMA"
- ---
which is also coreect, but on all other DMB's browse.dat as:
- ---
"PUMA"             80001000 "PUMASRV             "PUMA"
"PUMA          "   80001000 "PUMASRV"            "PUMA          "
- ---
which is not correct.

as you can see, the workgroup is on all DMB's registered with "c0001000"
like the own domain on the DMB. but other DOMIAN's are registered twice
with "80001000".

after a period of time all DMB's have duplicate entries for their own
domain in "browse.dat" of course of the browselist synchronization between
the DMB's.

as you can see, we use one PDC as WINS server for all domains, but that
should be no problem, because the entries in "wins.dat" are all correct
and without any spaces at the end.

the complete setup shown above was working with samba-3.0.2a  without any
problems.

i saw changes in CVS from jra to the "nmdb" code 2 months ago, and this is
the code is used for 3.0.4. may these changes have something to do with
this new/incorrect behavior??

regards
Joerg