[Samba] File already in use?

Chris Garrigues cwg-dated-1086020094.51ba70 at deepeddy.com
Wed May 26 16:14:53 GMT 2004

> From:  Andreas Haumer <andreas at xss.co.at>
> Date:  Wed, 26 May 2004 17:16:26 +0200

> Hi!
>
> Rashkae wrote:
> > I would start with smbstatus to see what workstation/user has the file
> > open.
> >
> So far I was not able to see a file locked by someone else
> than the workstation/user who was reporting the problem (if any).
>
> When I get the problem report, it's usually too late: the
> user is already able to open the file again.
> Most of the time when I check the system then, smbstatus
> does not report this file as locked, and I find these
> "Share violation on file" error in the logs.
>
> I once had smbstatus reporting the same file a user was
> reporting as not beeing able to open, and smbstatus told
> me the _same_ user on the _same_ workstation had the file
> locked. The user told me he had _not_ opened the file the
> whole day! Go figure...

I just had almost this happen.  This time it was a quickbooks user.  She got
an error message that her connection to the server had been lost (I didn't see
this myself).  When I looked at smbstatus I saw that she still had locks:

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           Name
4191   DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       NONE             /export/pointmeridian/Accounting/Quickbooks/Point Meridian.QBI   Wed May 26 10:10:03 2004
4191   DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       NONE             /export/pointmeridian/Accounting/Quickbooks/Point Meridian.QBW   Wed May 26 10:10:02 2004

When she re-entered quickbooks it gave the usual error that the file was
already in use.

I restarted samba and it let her in.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
Trinsic Solutions		http://www.trinsics.com

	    If you don't apply what you've learned, you haven't
	       learned anything.