[Samba] Samba Server not working in MD10

Video 4Linux video4linux at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 19:47:30 GMT 2004

I'm trying to set up a Samba server on my Linux Mandrake 10 machine. I've
copied the smb.conf settings from the Samba Howto and look like this:

[global]
workgroup = Thuis
netbios name = Linux
printcap name = cups
disable spoolss = Yes
show add printer wizard = No
printing = cups
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = No
browseable = No
[public]
comment = Data
path = /share
force user = bas
force group = users
guest ok = Yes
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printer admin = root, bas
create mask = 0600
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No

I started the smb and nmb services which repsond both with [OK].

But when I run the command smbclient -L localhost I get:

session request to LOCALHOST failed (Call returned zero bytes (EOF))
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call returned zero bytes (EOF))

Note that because I want to share a certain partition with a windows XP
machine /share is mounted at a FAT32 partition. No idea if that has
something to do with my problems. I also cannot chown the /share folder
(operation not permitted). It is now owned by root.

Help is very welcome.

Bas