[Samba] conflict between Realtek 8139 (client) and 3c2000T (server) NIC's with Samba?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 25 16:28:20 GMT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 06:01:25PM +0200, Bart van Dijck wrote:

> Can someone explain this and possibly suggest another solution? We have a
> number of PC's with Realtek's (I know: they are not hgh quality cards to put
> it mildly) and would
> rather not replace them all. I can't think what the cause of the problem is:
> a NIC that otherwise works fine (surfing, even from the same machine which
> had the Samba server or any other network activitity) causes problems with
> Samba. I could understand it if the Samba server had the Realtek NIC, but I
> never have had any problems with 3com cards.

We (Samba) live so far above the network card drivers it's not funny.
We're just an application - admittedly one that stresses the network
quite a bit due to the speed.

I'm afraid you may have found some intrinsic problems with either the
cards or the driver for the card. The only way to change this with
Samba is to add a 'go slower' switch into smbd, which as I'm sure
you'll understand we're loathe to do :-).

Jeremy.