[Samba] Re: Windows XP machine not connecting to Samba 3.04 afterupgrade

Kit kit at gerritsaa.nl
Tue May 25 09:17:49 GMT 2004

Usually, problems with network access come from a lack of authentication.
This springs from the fact, that users don't want to log on to \\server
every time they log on.
Also, you can't put it in an autoexec, because the laptop is not always at
the office.

I have found a little trick, allowing a laptop to recognize what network it
is connected to, and responding accordingly.

There are a few tricks:
1) determining location by ipconfig. (usually by recognizing subnet mask).
2) storing global variables in environment. (by importing them in the
registry)
3) Setting preferences (defult printer, proxy, etc...)
4) mounting drives (with /user password, so it authenticates automagically)

You can even use the global variables set by this script in other programs
(a batch file that starts Outlook with the correct profile).
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B296192

-= The startup script =-
echo off
echo testing...
c:
cd \settings

echo .
ipconfig |find "10.0.4" >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto test2
if errorlevel 0 goto punter

:test2
ipconfig |find "10.2.1." >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto test3
if errorlevel 0 goto hoflaan

:test3
ipconfig |find "145.92" >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto test4
if errorlevel 0 goto hva

:test4
ipconfig |find "10.1.1" >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto test5
if errorlevel 0 goto havendijk

:test5
ipconfig |find "10.2.2." >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto test6
if errorlevel 0 goto westplein

:test6
echo no location found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
regedit /s xs4all.reg
goto end

:punter
echo location Punter found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
regedit /s punter.reg
rem net use k: \\xbak\download
if exist l:. net use l: /delete
goto end

:hoflaan
echo location Hoflaan found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
regedit /s hoflaan.reg
if exist k:. echo unmounting drives...
if exist k:. net use k: /delete >NUL
rem net use l: \\2kotter01\gerrits
net use p: \\piii450\media /user:XXXXX YYYYY >NUL
ping tbird -n 1 -w 100 |find "Reply" >NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto end
echo mounting drives...
net use k: \\tbird\d$ >NUL
goto end

:havendijk
echo location Havendijk found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
set location=havendijk
regedit /s havendijk.reg
if exist k:. net use k: /delete
if exist i:\hfnc.bat goto AlIngelogd
net use i: \\2kotter01\install /user:XXXX YYYY
net use l: \\2kotter01\gerrits
rem net use h: \\xbak\download /user:XXXX YYYYY
goto end

:hva
echo location HvA found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
regedit /s hva.reg
if exist k:. net use k: /delete
if exist l:. net use l: /delete
goto end

:westplein
echo location Westplein found!
echo .
echo merging registry...
set location=westplein
regedit /s westplein.reg
if exist i:. goto AlIngelogd
net use * /d /y
net use i: \\redhat01\kit /user:XXXX YYYYY >nul
net use j: \\redhat01\Algemeen >nul
net use k: \\redhat01\NetApps  >nul
net use l: \\redhat01\install  >nul
net use w: \\redhat01\gerrits  >nul
net use x: \\ws-d01\backups /user:XXXX YYYYY >nul
rem net use h: \\xbak\download /user:XXXX YYYYY
goto end

:AlIngelogd
echo Already logged in!
goto end

:end
echo all done!
sleep 1

-= End startup script =-

-= The .reg file =-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment]
"location"="westplein"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"Device"="WPL - LJ 5N,winspool,Ne00:"

-= End .reg file =-