[Samba] Samba 3 in a NT domain problem to connect with Win98

Niclas Runo n-runo at algonet.se
Tue May 25 07:28:50 GMT 2004

Hi
I hope you could help me. I don't get any answer i the newsgroups.

I have a Win NT box as a PDC and running the linux box as a domain member. I
have updated to Samba 3 on linux box. I joined the domain with no errors.
Everything works fine from another NT box that I have I can browse the
linux box shares and so on. But if I do the same thing from the Win98
machine I get this error messages "The network name cannot be found"  I can
ping the win98 box from the linux box both with name and ip adress and that
works the other way as well. Could someone help me with the problem? I get
no error messages in the Samba log files. I'm running Gentoo and
samba-3.0.2a-r2. I have followed the checklist on this page and everything
seems OK
 http://se.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/diagnosis.html
 Below is the relevant part of my smb.conf

Code:

 [global]
 workgroup = valhall
 security = domain
 printcap name = cups
 disable spoolss = yes
 show add printer wizard = no
 winbind uid = 15000-20000
 winbind gid = 15000-20000
 winbind separator = +
 winbind use default domain = yes
 use sendfile = Yes
 printing = cups
 restrict anonymous = no
 domain master = no
 preferred master = no
 max protocol = NT
 ldap ssl = No
 server signing = Auto
 name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast
 password server = *

 display charset = ISO8859-1
 unix charset = ISO8859-1
 dos charset = 850

 [Homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 valid users = %S
 browseable = no
 read only = no

do you see the linux box in network neighbourhood on the win98 machine?
 Answer: Yes

 Can you browse other (NT) shares from that machine?
 Answer: Yes

 Do you get the error when you try to access a share on the linux box or when
you try to access the box to get a list of available shares?
 Answer
 If I do like this
 from the win98 machine try
 start>run
 \\name.of the.samba.server\share
 I get an extended error message

 If I try to access the linux box by clicking Network and then click the icon
of the linux box I get the "The network name cannot be found" error message.

 I found something in the samba log files!
 if I'm running it like this
 start>run
 \\name.of the.samba.server\share

 In the log file for the NT machine ( which work) it says
 [2004/05/23 19:07:15, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(705)
 server1 (192.168.1.10) signed connect to service ville initially as user
ville (uid=1000, gid=100) (pid 4371)

 and on the Win98 box I get an extended error occured message
 and in the samba log file (/var/log/samba/log.oden) for the Win98 box it says
 [2004/05/23 18:51:15, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(705)
 oden (192.168.1.35) connect to service ville initially as user ville
(uid=1000, gid=100) (pid 4325)
 [2004/05/23 18:51:15, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(887)
 oden (192.168.1.35) closed connection to service ville

 the only difference I can se is that the connection directly closes.

Everything worked before the upgrade when I was running Samba 2.2.8

Please help or advice

//BR Niclas